Asanas of Yoga for Hair Loss
As far as yoga poses for hair loss control go, a few are exceptionally effective! They are listed below.
1. Balayam Yoga (Rubbing nails):
This yoga asana was made famous by Baba Ramdev. It is simple and highly affective.
- You can do this asana either sitting or standing.
- Curl the fingers of both hands inwards towards your palm.
- Bring the nails of both your hands in contact with each other and start rubbing them vigorously ens1ure leaving out the thumbnails.
- Keep rubbing your nails continuously for 5-7 minutes at a stretch.
Besides hair loss, Balayam yoga can also cure dandruff and premature graying of hair.
By doing this, the roots of the hair follicles connected to the fingernails pump energy to the scalp needed for hair growth.
2. Uttanasana (Stand forward bend pose):
- Stand straight with your legs close to one another touching your knees, heels, feet and toes.
- Inhale deeply.
- Now while exhaling, lift up your hands and bend forward, until your fingers and then your hands touch the floor.
- If possible, you can also bring your hands behind your heels.
- Hold on this position with some normal breathing.
- When you want to come out of this pose, inhale in deeply and stand back straight.
- For beginners, if you are not able to touch the ground with your hands, then fold your hands and hold your right elbow with left hand and left elbow with right hand.
This asana it helps better hair growth because of two reasons:
- If you have noticed, your head is hanging below your heart allowing allows blood to circulate properly in your scalp leading to proper hair growth.
- Another reason is that Uttanasana de-stresses you and relieves you of all anxiety and tensions which is a primary reason for hair loss.
3. Sasangasana (Rabbit pose):
- Sit with your knees on the floor, hips on your heels in Balasana pose (child pose).
- Now put both your hands at the back and hold your heels.
- Place the crown of your head on the floor and slowly inhale and lift up your hips.
- Hold this position until five breaths.
- Exhale as you slowly unroll yourself back to child pose.
- Relax and repeat again.
This asana is again beneficial because while the crown is on the ground, the blood flows to the head. Proper circulation of blood to scalp means good and healthy hair growth.
4. Ustrasana (Camel Pose):
- Sit straight on the floor with your knees in a way that the calves of your knees form right angle.
- Keep hands on your waist, fingers in the front and thumb behind.
- Now bend your spine backward and hold the heels of your feet with your hands or you may also touch the soles of your feet.
- As you bend your spine, also move your face upwards and try looking at the ceiling.
- Hold on this pose for a few seconds and keep your breathing normal.
- Exhale while exiting from this pose.
- Sit in baby pose or Balasana and relax.
Follow some precautions while doing this yoga for good hair:
- For beginners, do not bend backwards too much as it may cause injury to your lower back.
- You need Flexibility for this asana, if your body is stiff, you’ll never be able to complete this asana until the end.
5. Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Dog pose):
- Place yourself with your knees and hands on the ground. Your hands perpendicular to your shoulders and your knees perpendicular with your hips.
- Next push your hips up and alongside straighten your legs too, standing on your toes.
- Pressing your palms to the ground, straighten your spine more.
- To exit from this pose, pull down your hips gently and come back to the first step.
6. Vajrasana (Diamond pose):
- Sit on the floor keeping your spine erect and with stretched legs. Your heels should be together.
- Place your hands by your side palms facing the ground.
- Now you have to fold both your legs, keeping them under your thighs; first the left leg and then the right.
- Place your hands on your upper thighs.
- Sit in a relaxed position and breathe in and out deeply.
- When done, return back to your original posture of sitting with stretched legs.
7. Matsyasana (Fish pose):
- Lie down straight on the floor with your legs together, both your hands should go at the back of your thighs with palms facing downwards.
- Now with pressure on your elbows, pull the mid portion of your upper torso dropping your head a bit more backwards such that the crown of your head touches the ground.
- Your body position will be such that an arch will be formed between your hips and crown. Breathe in deeply and try filling in as much oxygen possible to your respiratory organs.
8. Uttanpadasana (Raised feet pose):
- Lie on the yoga mat with arms by your side and palms facing the floor.
- Stretch your body and slowly raise your legs at a 45-60 degrees angle from the ground.
- Keep1 your legs raised for a minute or even more if you can hold it.
This asana allows blood circulation to the scalp and thereby hair follicles allowing it to regrow.
Some other poses that help growth of long and beautiful hair are Sarvangasana (Shoulder stand pose) and Sirshasana (headstand pose). Beginners may have a problem doing these two poses. But as your body becomes flexible with yoga, you’ll find the difficulties fading away gradually. Other than these yoga asana, also practice Anuloma Viloma (alternate nostril breathing) and kapalbhati. They help you become stress-free which mean less hair loss.
Yoga is a natural treatment preventing hair loss and help growth of new hair. Practice yoga for long hair every day in the morning with an empty stomach for best results.